Window terms -Fenster FAQ

We walk the walk.  You need to talk the talk.  We take customer service to heart and love talking through your project with you over the phone.  The problem is, this is a very visual and tangible process we can’t effectively complete over the phone.  We can’t see what you need and you can’t communicate in our window terms what you need.  I’ve talked many times before about sending us pictures of your windows in prior posts.  This post should help you understand a little more about how to speak in window terms to help us understand what you need and what Fenster product best fits that need.

Brand:  The original manufacturer of your window.

Model:  Most brands of windows made several different models of windows with different features.

After-market:  This is what we do.  We make a replicated version of the original brand’s window sash.

Sash:  The operable part of the window.  Its what you open and close.

Casement:  The type of window that cranks open.

Double Hung:  The type of window that slides up and down.

Awning:  The type of window that swings open from the top.  Also called a hopper.

Slider:  The type of window that slides open horizontally.  Also called a glider.

Seal:  The seal in the glass causing the fog, NOT weatherstrip.  And not sill.  This is part of the frame.

Spacer bar:  This is the metal bar creating the space between the two panes of glass.

Weatherstrip:  Strip around the perimeter of the sash.

Bulb:  Soft, round vinyl weatherstrip that fits into a groove around the perimeter of the sash.

Leaf:  Rigid vinyl weatherstrip that fits into a groove around the perimeter of the sash.

Glazing bead:  A vinyl or metal strip against the perimeter of the glass.  Usually on the outside.

Glass stop:  A wood trim piece against the perimeter of the glass.  Can be on the inside or outside.

Boot glaze:  A rubber gasket around the perimeter of the glass holding it in the wood frame.  No bead or stop.

Wet glaze:  The glass unit is glued into the frame and has a glazing bead or glass stop.

Glazing channel:  The groove in the sash frame the glass fits into.

Cladding:  Metal or vinyl covering on the outside of the sash.

Primed:  The window industry term for a painted wood window.  No cladding on the outside.

Stile:  The vertical side of a sash frame.

Rail:  The horizontal side of a sash frame.

Joinery:  How the corners of the sash frame fit together.

Jambliner:  The plastic side tracks of a double hung window that the sashes slide up and down in.

Balance:  The spring mechanism in the jambliner that holds the sash up.

Terminal:  The bracket at the end of the balance that the sash tilt pin fits into.

Tilt-pin:  The pin or metal piece on the sash that fits into the terminal in the jambliner track.

Profile:  The shape of the wood sash frame.  From a millwork perspective, its how we identify the proper sash.

Operator:  Crank mechanism containing the gears and arms that open and close a casement sash.

Hinge:  The metal sill track, black bushing, arm, and sash mounting bracket are all part of a casement hinge.

Operator sash brackets:  One or two brackets mounted to the sash rail that the operator arms attach to.


Those are a few of the basics.  I’ll dig deeper in a future post on window terms.  For now, we look forward to helping you solve your window repair issues and hopefully you can get a better understanding of the window terms we understand and need,  to give you the best possible service.  Visit us at to read more about our company and products.


  • Miriam French
    Posted July 8, 2015 at 8:52 pm | Permalink

    My house is about 30 years old and my windows say MW dual 86 on the metal strip between the panes. Some of my wooden grids have broken and I can’t seem to find matching replacement grids. Do ya’ll have some or know where I can find them?

    • Posted July 13, 2015 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

      Miriam, Unfortunately, not at the moment. We are currently looking to start a relationship with a supplier, but have not had any luck. The deeper into big industry you get, the worse the customer service is. We’ve reached out to several suppliers with no response.

  • Betsy
    Posted July 14, 2015 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

    We have Pozzi casement windows and recently had some exterior painting done which then required that I crank open all of the moveable windows so they would not stick. All went well with exception of one window that nearly fell off the hinge at the top. Our painter was on a 30′ ladder and while I held the window up, he determined that the black plastic piece that holds the cranking mechanism onto the window is missing. Since I never open this window in general, I had no idea!

    This made me curious about others equally-sized windows that are up 30′ from the ground. A few of them are missing the thin metal piece that holds the crank arm onto the slider part. I would be happy to provide a picture.

    Bottom line….I need help to fix the one window!! Not only do I need that little plastic piece but will need someone with the knowledge of how to install it so that our window is solid once again.

    Please advise…..


    • Posted July 14, 2015 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

      Betsy, Sounds to me like its the hinge that’s broken. This is a pretty generic part and fairly simple to replace. Unless you’re in the Indianapolis area, I couldn’t offer any installation service. The hinges we do have. We can ship them to you. We’ll need you to complete a hardware order request form or a contact us email from our website so we can contact you for shipping and billing purposes. Thank you.

  • Eric
    Posted July 16, 2015 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

    I am in the process of removing the 4 I.G. units from a 1970 unit. two stationary units in the middle, crank outs on the ends. What is the best way to remove the 2 stationary sashes from the frame work?

    • Posted July 17, 2015 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

      Eric, that’s a big question. They could be held in any number of ways. Some have screws through the trim into the sash. Some screw through the sash into the frame of the window. Some have brackets behind the trim. Still others are screwed in from the jamb requiring you to break the screws or nails around the sash to remove it. Finally, if they are old Pella’s forget it! The frame of the window is actually built around the sash and you have to completely destroy the sash to remove it.

  • Jeremy Pilkington
    Posted October 11, 2015 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

    Good morning Ryan — I have Pozzi Windows from about 1990 , and I distroyed , unfortunately , the interior piece of woodwork that covers the operator for a casement window. This piece has cutouts on its bottom ams back sides to allow for movement of the operator arms. Can you produce such a piece ??? Thanks Jeremy

    • Posted October 12, 2015 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

      Jeremy, Sure can. Stick one in the mail to us so we can match it. $60 bucks is our usual price on those.

  • Posted April 16, 2016 at 1:20 am | Permalink

    These are some really good terms to know if you are thinking about getting new windows. I like that you explained the different words used to describe how a window opens. That seems like good things to be aware of when you are shopping for new ones. Do you know what a vinyl window is?

  • Stanislaus Dundon, Ph.D.
    Posted August 16, 2016 at 1:50 am | Permalink

    I have about 15 Caradco double-pane rectangular windows, most more than five feet high. Their inside grills are wooden and removable for window washing. They are held in place by tiny clips that one shoves under the rubber/vinyl seal that holds the glass. The grills are always falling down because the clips are misssing or they didn’t use enough in the first place.The grills have complete perimeters, not just crosses. Can I get a box full?

  • chip anderson
    Posted September 29, 2016 at 8:26 pm | Permalink

    I believe I have “M-W” windows that were installed about 1985. These are wood windows with removable wood mullions inside; there are pre-drilled holes on the sides of the frames. Grid retainer clips hold the mullions in place and are clear plastic. I need to replace several of the clips, but cannot find them large (wide) enough. For instance, Swisco’s part # 55-184 or Prime-Line # s PL-7984 or 5839 are the correct “style”, but only 13/16′ inside; I need some that are about 1″ inside dimension. Do you have a suggestion for a supplier?

    • Posted October 1, 2016 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

      Chip, We have a relationship with All About Windows and Doors out of Kansas City. I can’t verify if they have what you need, but might try them.

  • Mike Sottek
    Posted November 7, 2016 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

    I have a Caradco wood casement window that I need a sash for. The home was built in 1985. It is
    stamped “Caradco” on the spacer between the glass. Your C-200 profile looks close but still not
    sure if it matches what I have. I did take pictures that I could send you but who would I send them to
    or talk to about this?
    Thanks, Mike

    • Posted November 9, 2016 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

      Mike, You’re probably on the right track with the C-200 for that era. Caradco didn’t have too many models available at that time. You can send those photos to and one of my customer service folks will get back to you promptly. Thank you.

Post a Comment

Your email is kept private. Required fields are marked *