MW Window Repair: Mission Possible.

In your home, your windows are your eyes to the world. You want to protect and take care of this valuable investment. But what happens when the wood in those windows starts to age and can no longer be serviced because the original window manufacturer has gone out of business? Your only choice is to completely replace them, right?

Not any more: MW sash parts are now available.

MW replacement windows and parts are available through Fenster Components. MW Manufacturing was acquired by PlyGem in 2004.  While PlyGem markets the MW brand in their wood window line, warranties of past MW customers are not valid, and replacement parts for those windows are not available. Fortunately, Fenster Components can help you repair your MW windows.

Fenster Components — based in the Indianapolis, IN area — has been manufacturing replicated window sash profiles for most major brands of wood windows since 1999. Fenster can supply you or your contractor with replicated wood components to match your MW Windows. Fenster also offers innovative replacement products to upgrade your existing MW windows with better energy performance, extended life span, and less maintenance utilizing cellular PVC technology.

Work smarter. Work faster. Save money. Now that’s a better view.

Visit our website to learn more about our product lines, or to fill out an order form for your MW window replacement parts today.


  • Susan Payne
    Posted September 28, 2013 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

    Do you offer screens for M&W windows? Where can I get details? Thanks!

    • Posted October 1, 2013 at 11:00 pm | Permalink

      Along with most hardware and glass, screens do not have to be from the original manufacturer. Just about any screen shop can make replacement screens. However, with the vast selection of hardware configurations, styles, and colors, fabricating screens can be very difficult without an original to copy. Pictures are always helpful, but keep in mind not all original hardware or frame colors may be available. Also, many customers don’t understand the necessity of exact measurements. This is very important for a proper fit, but difficult to provide without the original screen to copy.

      • Wayne
        Posted November 28, 2018 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

        I have wooden MW windows installed approximately 17 years ag.o those openly exposed to weather have rotted at bottom. Can I order replacement sashes. The Window frames are in good to excellent condition.

      • Posted November 28, 2018 at 10:55 pm | Permalink

        Hi Wayne, Well, probably. We do several models of MW, but not all that were ever available. If we have a match, I’m sure we can take care of you. Our biggest request for MW is a vinyl clad double hung model, that we unfortunately can’t do. If you have casements, we can probably help.

  • Steve Tonucci
    Posted November 8, 2013 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

    I have a crank out style MW window installed in 2005 that is missing the window crank handle and locking latch. If I sent you the parts I need could you send me a matched set. If so, please send an address and other info I’ll need.

    • Posted November 9, 2013 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

      Steve, The best thing to do is visit our website, and complete a quote request form and our customer service team will respond to your request by the next business day. Thank you.

    • Melissa
      Posted June 30, 2015 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

      I am trying to get info on M&W windows also installed in 2005 that are the crank out kind. The ones we have are very difficult to close once open. The hardware is “Truth” on the windows. Is this what you also have? Steve? Do you have any problems cranking them back in? We think M&W may have used the wrong combination of crank and arm to support the size and weight of the window. Just saw your comments and though I would ask.

      • Posted July 7, 2015 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

        Melissa, From an industry insider’s perspective, its amazing how much engineering goes into the hardware on windows. Overkill in my opinion. Any number of things could be happening from a simple adjustment, to hardware replacement, all the way up to a new sash. The operator could be broken? The keepers for the locks may not be lining up? The sash may have sagged or the sill is bowed causing the sash to drag on the sill. Can you be any more specific on exactly why the window is hard to close?

  • Tim
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

    The locking hardware for our sliding glass door has broken(again). It is the spring that brings out the locking mechanism. Where can I find a replacement part? Thanks.

    • Posted March 3, 2014 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

      Tim, We don’t much with doors. Not sure if we can help. You are welcome to check out our hardware catalog on our website, and see if you can find it. If you identify what you need, go ahead and fill out a quote form and one of our staff will get back to you with pricing and availability. Thanks!

  • Nancy Moore
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

    I have 2 windows where the bottom half has moisture between the glass. Where can I buy 2 replacement bottom windows?

    • Posted March 24, 2014 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

      Nancy, Replacing glass is a difficult DIY project. Without prior experience, we would hesitate in selling you the materials to perform your project. If you just need the glass replaced, we recommend contacting a local residential glass company. The glass can be replaced without replacing the whole window and the glass is not brand specific, meaning you don’t have to get M&W glass.

      • Nancy Moore
        Posted March 25, 2014 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

        Thank you

  • Annette Bullard
    Posted May 13, 2014 at 12:01 am | Permalink

    I have M&W windows. Vinyl Clad. (Wood windows wrapped vinyl. On a double window, both outside sills have split, running horizontal. Is there a way to repair this?
    Thanks for any help,

    • Posted May 13, 2014 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

      Annette, My initial response is no. However, there are some vinyl repair companies out there that say they can repair vinyl windows. This is not my area of expertise, so I can’t vouch for the repair process.

    • Tom Porter
      Posted June 23, 2017 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

      There is a class action lawsuit on those type of windows call Ply Gem

  • Mike Dubis
    Posted May 23, 2014 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

    I have vinyl-clad M&W double casement windows.

    The wood underneath the bottom of the sashes is rotten. Is there a way to repair this? or are replacements available?

    • Posted May 27, 2014 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

      Mike, Thanks for the comment. Yes, that is what we do and why we do it. We replicate obsolete sash profiles to be used to rebuild the window you have. In most cases with vinyl or aluminum clad wood windows, the cladding can be removed and transferred to a new wood frame we produce. We currently do not have a vinyl clad M & W casement profile. We require a sample sash for our replication process. If you would like to pursue this option, please contact us via our website, and our customer service staff will get you more information.

  • John
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

    Hi Ryan,

    I have M & W wood windows, non-clad, non-tilt variety, installed 1987. My sashes are so far OK, but I am needing some hardware for them and I am not having any luck finding an exact replacement. So given that you folks are making replacement sashes, maybe you have identified appropriate hardware that may not be an exact replacement but will do the job.

    My windows have sheet metal jambliners (i.e. sheet metal bent to form channels, pretty thin stuff) which have “integrated” channel balances. By integrated I mean that there is another piece of the same sheet metal, folded into a U-channel with “wings” that contains a big spring and block and tackle for the dacron cord. This channel balance is attached to the jambliner by a couple of rivets at the top. There is a corresponding slot in the side of the sash that mates with the channel balance when the window is raised. (Talking about lower sash here but upper sash is a complementary setup.)

    The problem I am having is with the plastic part that attaches the dacron cord from the balance to the bottom of the sash. The plastic is failing with age, thus releasing the cord with a bang as the balance spring is suddenly released. These plastic pieces are roughly 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 inch cones with feet on the bottom and a small hole in the top for the cord, which is then knotted inside. I would like to replace some or all of these.

    First, I don’t know what these plastic pieces that hold the balance cord in the bottom of the sashes should be called.

    Second, if an exact replacement is not available, is there some more industry standard way this is done that is different than my original equipment? I notice that many replacement channel balances come with a metal hook at the end of the cord. Does that hook get stuck directly into the wood of the sash, or is there a plastic piece designed to fit in the bottom of the sash that accepts the hook?
    Since you are a “wood window” guy, and you have made replacement sashes for M&W windows, I’m hoping that you have an idea what replacement hardware would be required for the sashes.

    I am glad you guys are around to provide replacement sashes when the time eventually arrives. I am very much a “repair what is broken rather than replace the whole thing” kind of person, and I am not a fan of vinyl windows.

    • Posted July 30, 2014 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

      John, First of all, thank you for your interest. I’ll say I’m more of a window expert from the millwork side of things, but not when it comes to knowing the hardware that every manufacturer used. I’ll do my best to help.

      I’m on the same page with you as far as what you’re dealing with. I’m thrown a little bit by the metal jambliners. I haven’t seen those since 70’s era Pellas. Most are vinyl.

      It sounds like you need terminal ends for the balances. The typical set-up would have a tilt pin on the sash that fits into the terminal, which in turn is attached to the cord, attached to the balance. If your balance cord is attached directly to the sash, but the balance is in the jambliner, that’s not the norm for this era of window. The problem with terminal ends is there are 100’s to choose from and my supplier does not list them by manufacturer. Without seeing it or having a sample to compare to, I really have no ability to identify it.

      Here’s my two suggestions. First, I have another blog specifically about the vinyl replacement jambliner kits we sell. We take the guess work out of all the parts and pieces and just sell a replacement kit with all new balances and matching hardware that fits most double hung wood windows with a 4 9/16″ jamb. Check that out if you consider going that route. The other is, you can access our distributor’s catalog from our website, Go to the hardware and components page, and under hardware section, there is a link. There is an overwhelming 100 pages or so of balance and jambliner parts. If you are able to identify what you need, take down that part number and put that in a quote request. We’d be happy to get them to you. Thanks!

      • John
        Posted July 30, 2014 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

        Thanks for your response.
        There is no tilt pin on the sash because these are non-tilt sashes.

        Is there a special name for the terminal end of a balance that attaches directly to a non-tilt sash, or of the plastic piece that fits on the bottom of the sash that a basic terminal end (i.e. a hook) attaches to? This information would help a lot in deciphering your catalog. I have already spent some time looking at it, which is why I doubt I will find the exact replacement, and may need to use something more “industry standard”.

        I will evaluate replacing all the jambliners, but I was hoping to avoid that.

      • Posted July 30, 2014 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

        John, Now I’ve gotcha. I have tilt in sashes on the brain because that is all we’ve ever worked with. I would still think its a terminal end. I’ve seen verbiage as simple as ‘attaching clip”. But again, getting a little outside of my experience. I just flipped through a paper catalog I have here and it appears the non-tilt stuff seems to be in the first few pages under the 60 series balances.

  • Randy Quimby
    Posted October 3, 2014 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

    Having double slung windows the bottom needs to be replaced / repaired where can I order this type of MW window for replacement? Charleston, SC

    • Posted October 3, 2014 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

      Randy, MW produced at least 8 different double hung models in the last 20 years. We have no way of helping you identify which one you have. We have 1 of the 8 that we have replicated. Using our profile catalog, you will have to determine on your own if the profile we have matches yours or not. Thank you.

  • Harold Tessier
    Posted October 21, 2014 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

    We have M&W wooden, double hung, tilt in windows and we have a couple where when we unlock the window the top window slides down about 4″. Is there a way to tighten the upper window so it stays in place when unlocked?

    Thank you.

    • Posted October 28, 2014 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

      Harold, Check out some other blogs posts if you would please. I’ve commented on this topic several times. Thank you.

  • Jay Holland
    Posted October 26, 2014 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

    I have mw double hung vinyl clad windows. Wood is rotten on top sash, measures 27 x 34 5/8.
    What are my options?

    • Posted October 28, 2014 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

      Jay, We do not have an MW vinyl clad profile available yet. You can send us a set of sash and we’d be happy to look into a replication for you.

      • Thomas Murray
        Posted March 16, 2021 at 11:31 pm | Permalink

        Hi Ryan,
        I am working in a 20 year old house with MW vinyl double hung units. I need some new sash and balances for the house. Have I come to the right place?
        Tom M

      • Posted March 17, 2021 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

        Hi Tom, Well sort of. What you’ve mentioned is too specific for us, or anyone for that matter. We don’t produce a “MW” specific sash nor does anyone else that I’m aware of. What we do have is a universal double hung sash kit, commonly referred to as a “sash pack” that does in fact work with MW wood windows. Now you mentioned “vinyl” double hungs. If they are a true vinyl window, we have nothing that can help you. We only work with wood windows. MW did make a vinyl clad wood unit at one point which our stuff should most likely retro fit into even though ours are aluminum clad.
        Again, with the balances, no to a MW specific individual balance, but we do offer industry standard jambliner kits that should alos fit MW windows. FYI, the sash kits come with new liners as well. You can read more about both these products on our website;

  • Paul Halla
    Posted March 20, 2015 at 11:50 am | Permalink

    I have some (3 to be exact) M & W vinyl clad windows where the seals have broken in the windows. What are my options? Can I get the whole replacement window from you?

    • Posted March 20, 2015 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

      Paul, The glass is not brand specific. You can have a local glass company replace that for you. Regardless, we don’t have cladded anything to supply you with a replacement sash.

  • Chris
    Posted March 26, 2015 at 12:54 pm | Permalink


    My home was built in 2004 and I have 29 MW windows installed. Most of which are the Cybele exterior and wooden interior windows that crank outwards. I have several windows that will not crank back in to a point that they can be locked into place and several where the Argon (assuming it is argon) gas has leaked and are now foggy. I heard there was a class action on the windows (I belive they are the 800 series). Are you aware of any additional information on this? Understand this is outside the scope of your business, but was interested because you are in the business of replacement of MW windows. As I have read through the postings and responses, it appears that the glass can be replaced and the sashes fabricated to original specs once provided to your team. Are you able to ball park costs associated with the repairs that would be needed to correct the poor workmanship of the original MW window to get it back to an operational state? Your thoughts and opinikns would be appreciated.

    • Posted March 26, 2015 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

      Chris, Well, just about every window company has a class action lawsuit against them! Windows are no different than any other consumer product. There are no design flaws. There are no manufacturing defects. They want windows to go bad so you’ll buy more windows! The lawsuits arise from folks that think something should last forever. That’s not realistic. Good companies stand behind their warranties, but even the good ones can’t stand behind their products forever. Wood has a lifespan. Glass seals have a lifespan. So on and so on… soapbox moment over.

      I’ve heard of the Freedom 800 series, but have not had the opportunity to get my hands on one. I can’t make any speculation on how it was made, or if we can replicate it. Typically, our only option with a cladded window is to offer a stile and rail frame rebuild kit for the sash frame. We do not have access to cladding whether it be because of proprietary restrictions or the absence of supply chain once the manufacturer goes out of business. Depending on the construction, sometimes the cladding can be separated from the frame, sometimes it cannot.

      As far as the glass, yes that can be replaced by a local glass company. Glass is not brand specific and, in most cases, can be removed from the frame and replaced with a new unit. I can’t speak for your local suppliers, but I would guess that runs around $200 per sash with install labor.

      One final note, the former MW company was purchased by Ply-Gem as their wood window line. They still use the MW name for that product line. Typically the new owner doesn’t assume any liability for past product sales, but it may be worth a shot if you think your original warranty has some life left.

    • Melissa
      Posted June 30, 2015 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

      Chris, if you see this message what did you find out about your windows. Have the same issues on a house built in 2005 and trying to find out how to fix them so they will close correctly.

  • Ann
    Posted May 1, 2015 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

    We have windows with the following marking on the spacer: MW DUAL 8. I’m guessing they are M&W windows which are 30 years old double hung wood. The sashes are in good shape but we wnt to convert them to tilt. Is there a way to do this?

    • Posted May 4, 2015 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

      Ann, I’m certainly not familiar with all MW products, but I’m surprised those are not tilt-in already. At 30 years old, I would assume they have compression jambliners. The windows still tilt in by pressing against the plastic on the sides of the frame while pulling in on the sash.

      • Mitch
        Posted November 12, 2017 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

        Hi Ryan,

        Sounds like our windows are similar to Ann’s. We have MW double -hung (non-tilt) wood sash windows from the 1990s.The only info I can find on the windows is “MW DUAL” on the metal edge of the glass. They have vinyl jamb tracks with some type of spring balance. I can’t identify the balance b/c I can’t figure out how to remove the sashes. Something, likely the chord, in one sash has broken and i can’t seem to access the balance mechanisms b/c of not being able to remove the sashes. A technician from Swisco suggested the jamb tracks are spring tensioned and pushing laterally on the sash could allow its removal (ie, compression jambliners). This doesn’t seem to be the case, the jambliners don’t budge when pushed. Can you advise on how to remove the sashes? I can send photos if that helps. Thanks.

      • Posted November 13, 2017 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

        Mitch, I’m sorry, but I’m sure if can be much help here. In my experience, all wood double hung windows have the tilt in feature (that I’ve worked on). If MW made a “non-tilt” wood window, I am not familiar with it. So I couldn’t say with any confidence how to take it apart. Again, in my experience, wood double hungs either have the compression type liner or a fixed liner with sash locks on the top of the sash.

  • Grace
    Posted May 7, 2015 at 9:48 pm | Permalink

    Help please!
    We bought a modular home built in 1999 with all MW windows. We are having an issue with the screen removal to put in a/c units. The model number on the gold label says : HR25-46×77
    Manufacturer code MW-1
    They have the 4 plungers and no pull tabs. One would think they come loose and go either in or out. But there is a stop on all sides, as if it’s meant to be permanent but that can’t be….
    Any help on how to remove these?
    The windows are single hung.
    thank you. I’ve called plygem, and mw (the woman there was very rude) and got no help at all.
    thanks again, we’re roasting here!

    • Posted May 8, 2015 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

      Grace, I really sorry to hear about your troubles. Unfortunately I don’t think I can be of much help either. We make aftermarket replications of windows when the company goes out of business or discontinues a model. We don’t have any connection to the original company. I kind of understand what you are talking about, but couldn’t help with any replacement parts. I would imagine there should be a spring on one side of the frame. One of two things, pull the plungers away from the stop to compress that spring, or get a putty knife or something similar behind the frame to squeeze that spring to release the screen. Hope that helps.

  • Joan
    Posted July 17, 2015 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

    I am looking to replace large triple casement windows Have MW which were installed in 1999 and have rotted. Can you help?

    • Posted July 17, 2015 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

      Joan, Possibly. We need to know exactly what MW model of window you have and if they match a replica we have available. The best thing is to send us photos of your windows to and we’ll try to identify them for you.

  • janet randall
    Posted August 8, 2015 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

    I am looking for MW sashes, one casement, one awning. I see the casement listed among the choices (the other is double-hung). Do you also do MW awning sashes? And is MW what you call M&W?

    • Posted August 10, 2015 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

      Janet, Yes, M&W was a typo by my web people. Thank you for noticing that. I’ve since corrected the blog post. In answer to your question, in most cases, the awning sash is the same profile as the casement sash. Its just turned on its side. The bigger question to answer is; Does the MW profile we have match the one you have? MW had a rather expansive model catalog over the 40 years of the window industry we encompass. We have just a small fraction of what the company had to offer. MW is an obsolete brand we are seeking additional profiles for to grow our catalog. So, IF we have your matching window, the thing to do is complete a sash order request with your information and my customer service people will respond to you. If we DON’T have a match, you might want to entertain the possibility of sending us a sample window to replicate for you. Despite the inconvenience, this can still be a cost effective alternative to replacing your windows since you will not be able to find a matching MW window otherwise.

  • Brad L
    Posted September 6, 2015 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

    I have a triple window (with center window with dome atop). The rubber seal/gasket is coming lose on one of the two side windows. Is there someone you can direct me to who can perform repairs in the Raleigh, NC area?

    • Posted September 8, 2015 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

      Brad, Not specifically. We recommend Glass Doctor on a nationwide level for glass repairs. You might try and locate an office near you.

  • Sue Lee
    Posted March 19, 2016 at 1:59 am | Permalink

    We built our home 33 years ago using MW double hung wood windows. The “dividers” that create the pane are on the inside of the window. I have broken a couple of those and need replacements. Also, I need lots of the small clips that hold them in. I have about 30 windows and the plastic pieces have almost disintegrated. Can you help me with these products.

    • Posted March 21, 2016 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

      Sue, We don’t know specifically what type of clip MW used, but if you would like to send us some pictures to, we can see if we can locate those for you.

  • Posted April 1, 2016 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

    Hello, I have an MW window and I need sash springs replacement, do you have a sash spring kit I can buy?

  • John Bemiss
    Posted May 17, 2016 at 12:25 am | Permalink

    Where or who can I purchase the ply gem vinyl balance replacements (vinyl jam liner) many of my widows badly need these replaced as I am rebuilding many of the widow frames myself due to wood rot Lowe”s at one time stocked no longer available

    • Posted May 17, 2016 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

      John, I’m not familiar with a Ply-Gem specific product, but our replacement jambliners fit most brands of tilt-in wood windows that originally had compression liners. I invite you to check out our products at

  • Drew McFadden
    Posted August 7, 2016 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

    We have a home built in 1998 that has all casement windows from MW. Several of the sash are rotted. Do I need to send pictures along with the measurements or do I pull off part of either stile or rail and mail to you?
    Do you sell direct with this product line or through dealer / distributor? (West Michigan)?
    How difficult is it to remove cladding from old sash and install on new stiles and rails.. I have previous window experience if that matters.

    • Posted August 8, 2016 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

      Drew, Pictures are fine to start. That at least lets us identify the model and determine if we have a match or not. If not, then you would want to send us the parts to replicate. Yes, we sell direct to the public via our website. To your last question, can’t say for sure until I know what model we’re dealing with. If its a vinyl clad, it could be tough. If its a roll form aluminum, it’s typically pretty easy.

  • Jean Serey
    Posted September 23, 2016 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

    I removed a grill for my double hung M& W window to clean and paint it. I set it on our garbage can to dry and the garbage men took it as trash. Do you sell replacement grills for these windows? If you do how do I measure for the replacement? Do I measure the window or the grill? Thanks for your help. Jean

    • Posted September 24, 2016 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

      Jean, Unfortunately no. We do not make wood grills, nor can we find a manufacturer that will sell wholesale to us, or direct to the public. All the grill companies must have enough money that they don’t want more customers.

  • Ken
    Posted December 8, 2016 at 12:37 am | Permalink

    Ryan, We would like to hire a professional to help us purchase the right window products from you and also have them install it for us. Please recommend a professional in the Charleston, SC area? Thanks.

    • Posted December 12, 2016 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

      Ken, I wish I could! Our pursuit to find qualified window professionals has yielded little. We’re taking a two stepped approach moving forward. This winter I will be filming several how-to videos for the retail DIY’er in an effort to educate the homeowner on how to measure, order, and install our products. Long term, we are building a new model to launch a residential window repair franchise to fulfill a huge need in the window market. That obviously won’t help you in the short term.

      I do travel when my schedule allows. We typically do this for the insurance industry. The fees can be costly, but if your project is significant, the travel fees can be absorbed and still be a great savings from full replacement. If that would be of some interest to you, please feel free to contact me directly at: Thanks.

  • Posted December 11, 2016 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

    Need a lower sash for tilt out m&w wood insulated window 30X56 or 301/2×391/2 do you have

    • Posted December 12, 2016 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

      Bill, MW had several models of DH sash. We only have one so far. We will need detailed photos and sash profile dimensions to compare to what we have available to see if we can match what you have or not. You can send that information to

  • Ed Giunco
    Posted February 25, 2017 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

    I am selling my home and I have condensation in the fixed upper sash. Can that sash be replaced. The home was built in mid 1998

    • Posted February 25, 2017 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

      You don’t need to replace the sash Ed. Just have a local glass company replace the glass for you.

  • Scott James
    Posted January 5, 2018 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

    Fenster USA…… My home was built in 1999, and I bought it in 2014. I have MW Wood Windows (double hung, double tilt) with Vinyl Balances. All of the tags appear to have been removed, and the only number I can find on the windows is on the metal framing inside of the window itself (MW HM 98 268831)… far an internet search has not revealed any information. The windows themselves (glass and wood) are in good shape. The problem that I have is two fold.

    First, some genius painted the exterior trim as well as the exterior of the window, not giving any attention to the fact that they also painted the vinyl balance jambs. This constantly makes the windows stick (especially in the summer), and hard to open. THAT is my minor issue.

    Second, is the springs and degrading plastic guides that make up the balance in the side jambs. On several windows, a small hook on the plastic guide has broken, allowing the spring to retract back up into the track. I have, on occasion been able to carve out a small hook into the plastic, but this in only a temporary fix, until it happens again (which it always does). I am a very capable DIY’er, and can replace the balances. The problem is finding them. Will the Fenster balance kit work for my application ?? I can send pictures. Any help is greatly appreciated.

    • Posted January 10, 2018 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

      Scott, All I can say is, if you have wood windows with vinyl compression jambliners, then our kits work “most” of the time. I can’t make a recommendation with any certainty based on the brand and model. You would have to compare what you have to what we have shown on our website and make a determination from there. If you need several, a lot of folks order one to try it before they order the whole lot.

    • Brandon Garofalo
      Posted August 11, 2018 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

      Do you know if Scott’s problem with vinyl compression balances were fixed with your replacement parts? I have the exact same issue.

      • Posted August 13, 2018 at 10:11 pm | Permalink

        Brandon, I’m sorry, I couldn’t tell you. I don’t have any way of tracking down if Scott even ordered anything from us. We do such a large volume of that product, we have a “no news is good news” approach to that product line.

      • Brandon Garofalo
        Posted August 17, 2018 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

        Ryan, How can I send you photos of my balances for you to compare against what you offer?

      • Posted August 21, 2018 at 11:29 pm | Permalink

        Brandon, You don’t need to send us photos. We have photos of our liners on our jambliner page.

      • Scott James
        Posted August 19, 2018 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

        Brandon……The measurements on my MW vinyl jambliners appear to match the Fenster square plough exactly. I placed my first order today (8-19) for one set. I will let you know how it works out. My email is If you want I will send you pictures of the removal and install.

      • Posted August 21, 2018 at 11:28 pm | Permalink

        Thanks for the business and feedback Scott!

  • Scott James
    Posted August 13, 2018 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

    Brandon & Ryan….. I have not ordered the balances “yet”. Other projects this summer took priority. I have 32 windows, so my plan is to order one set to see how easy/efffective the replacement will be. I believe I will be placing my first order within a few weeks. I will keep you posted on my success.

    • Brandon Garofalo
      Posted August 17, 2018 at 6:41 pm | Permalink

      Thanks Scott. I have roughly 35 windows. I will keep you in my loop as well.

  • Phillip Weimer
    Posted January 8, 2019 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

    My house was built in 1996. It has wood MW double hung windows that tilt out for removal, cleaning. The window number is stamped between the 2 panes on the metal strip. Unfortunately, since its so small, all I can make out is the “MW” followed by a series of characters. Anywhere else I can look? I’ve checked edges of both top and bottom sashes with no luck. Thanks much, Phil

    • Posted January 9, 2019 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

      Phillip, Don’t work too hard at that. Those numbers don’t tell us anything about the model. They are glass production numbers, not model numbers. Regardless, we do not manufacture brand specific sash anyway. If you need the glass replaced, a local glass company can do that for you. If you need the sash replaced, our Quiksash kits should work well for your application. You can find those on our primary website,

  • Kuljit
    Posted May 13, 2019 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

    Hello Ryan,

    My house was built in 2005 and have 42 MW windows. They are vinyl, double hung and double tilt. On several of them the top sash keeps sliding down every time I try to open the windows. I have noticed springs on both sides of the sash (I’m assuming they are there as balance). Can this be fixed with replacement parts from you guys? Please comment. Thanks

  • David E Matarese
    Posted May 15, 2019 at 4:29 am | Permalink

    I am looking for aluminum window sills for my MW windows Freedom 800 installed in 1999. the original vinyl cladded wood split. MW gave me a few of these aluminum sandstone color sills, their part # 2490564. Do you sell those. I can send a picture. Thank you!
    Dave Matarese

    • Posted May 15, 2019 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

      David, That would have been something very specific to MW. That kind of stuff disappears when the company does.

  • LeAnne Case
    Posted May 10, 2020 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

    Ryan, You are a patient man to answer all these!
    I need a replacement crank for one casement window and about 50 ft of the flat 7/8″ white weatherstripping M&W placed on the outside of these windows. It appears to be self adhesive. I do not see a similar product on the internet anywhere. I anticipate increased supplier product and soft openings soon for y’all in Indiana.

    • Posted May 11, 2020 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

      Hi LeAnne, That’s what I’m here for! I know stuff about windows most folks don’t. Sometimes I can help, sometimes I can’t. We’re not on the hardware side of things really. We like to stick to the sash building. The crank shouldn’t be hard to find. The trick is not to search for MW parts. MW would have used TRUTH brand hardware which is very universal. Most online hardware companies would have that; Blaine’s, Swisco, allaboutdoors just to name a few. Not sure about the weatherstripping. I don’t have anything that wide. 7/8″ is bigger than anything we use here. I doubt that’s self adhesive unless its already been replaced by an after market product. We use a 7/16″ vinyl stick on our MW’s but of course that’s to fit our redesign. Ours are made a bit differently than the original. All of the above stores are going to sell weather strip too. Again, don’t necessarily search for a MW part. You need to think more generic and try to find something that is “close” that will work as a substitute.

      • LeAnne Case
        Posted May 11, 2020 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

        Wow, That is the most helpful information anyone has been able to give me! Thank you for those leads. Is it possible for you to send me a photo or sketch showing the profile of the vinyl stick you use?

      • Posted May 12, 2020 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

        LeAnne, Um not really. Our supplier would have that and that would be a pretty big pain to try and get. We no longer offer weatherstripping for retail sale anyway. I know for a fact, what we have is not interchangeable with what you are looking for. I think your best bet is try one of the online retailers I suggested.

  • James Coluccio
    Posted May 30, 2020 at 11:22 pm | Permalink

    I have a old malta casement window about 30 years old i am looking for the window bead for it, any help would be greatly appreciated, the number in the window glass reads 7A4.

    • Posted June 2, 2020 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

      James, unfortunately that is probably something that went by the way side along with Malta.

  • Walt
    Posted June 21, 2020 at 6:47 am | Permalink

    We have several of the old MW vinyl clad double hung windows where the sill is rotting. I understand that you don’t have replacement parts for these. Do you know if there is a composite or other sill replacement option available anywhere?

    • Posted June 22, 2020 at 11:51 am | Permalink

      Not pre-formed Walt. The main factor in why we don’t offer frame components is most field carpenters prefer to make their own parts.

  • Mark Cannon
    Posted August 9, 2020 at 2:06 am | Permalink

    I have MW Jefferson series, wood 50/50 windows. Need the lower sash for several windows. Avaialble?

  • Bill Robinson
    Posted September 19, 2020 at 8:46 pm | Permalink

    Our MW double-glazed frosted bathroom window has developed a significant leak. The trim surrounding the window is intact, but the window itself needs replacing. Its dimensions are 41.5″ square. We recently renovated our bathroom, installing tile around this window that we believed still intact. Our repairman thinks that replacing only the glass would be an optimum solution to the problem which just recently imposed itself on our nearly-new bathroom. If the glass (only) is unavailable as a replacement unit, in a pinch, we could buy the whole window (as in “new construction”), extracting the glass from the larger package.

    • Posted September 21, 2020 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

      Bill, You don’t need to replace the sashes. Any local glass company should be able to replace the glass for you. Replacement glass is not brand specific.

  • Ed Burns
    Posted November 7, 2020 at 6:10 pm | Permalink


    I have a double hung m and w windows that were installed in 1992. I have some sash rot and
    fogging. It does not look like you sell the window sash kit (not sure). The sash width is 30 and one
    half inch. The jambline is 62 inches. I have replaced 3 window kits from m and w about 15 years ago.

    Thanks for any info you can give me


    • Posted November 11, 2020 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

      Hi Ed, I don’t think I can be much help at the moment. This whole covid thing has made a bigger mess out of things than people want to accept or even comprehend. First off, we’re not producing any double hung products at the moment because we can’t staff the line! We’ve had to bail out on a whole product line because we can’t get enough people to work here. Additionally, we had a robust jambliner program a year ago. After losing a critical component supplier, we’ve had to discontinue that product line as well. After working on it for nearly a year, we still have yet to secure a new vinyl extrusion supplier.

  • Ginny
    Posted November 9, 2020 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

    Hope I can explain this. House built in 95. Called builder and he “thinks” windows are MW. Have termite damage on one. Windows are wood double hung tilt in. (No supplier name on lock or anywhere I can find). After removing brick molding, the next piece (part of window) also had some damage on bottom 1/3. It’s 1 1/2 by 3/4 piece of wood that that runs down window and holds jamb liner in place. It has grooves on inside to marry up with opposite undamaged side. Hope this makes sense. I’m looking to replace this damaged piece. Don’t know what this piece is called. Thanks in advance.

    • Posted November 11, 2020 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

      Ginny, That is called a jamb stop. We don’t get a lot of call for frame parts and you’ll be hard pressed to find any company providing brand specific frame parts. Most field carpenters prefer to fashion their own parts on site. As long as its wood, a local carpenter should be able to make that for you.

  • Chris Blair
    Posted January 22, 2021 at 1:43 am | Permalink

    I’m looking for plastic screen clips for MW window. Do you carry them. Can’t find anything online that’s even close. Sent pictures to Swisco with no luck.

    • Posted January 22, 2021 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

      Nope, Sorry Chris. That’s a little too specific of a part for what we carry. We’re really just the most common stuff, more so for casements and double hung.

  • Mike P
    Posted February 6, 2021 at 2:53 am | Permalink

    We have small casement window in bathroom – not able to find a manufacturer but other window in house says MW HM, the crank handle came off/broken and now we are not able to open the window is this something you will be able to help? Please let me know

    • Posted February 8, 2021 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

      Mike, We’re not really on the hardware side of things, but there are several online window hardware sources that would sell crank handles.

  • Shelia Lassiter
    Posted February 10, 2021 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

    House built 1998 by Fortis Homes with V. Wood tilt windows, MW manufacturers Inc.. I am not original owner and just bought house. Noticed that garage window is cracked, can I have window replaced?

    • Posted February 11, 2021 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

      Shelia, We don’t offer a brand specific match, but you can have a local glass company replace the glass for you.

  • Len Kern
    Posted April 3, 2021 at 11:57 pm | Permalink

    We may want to replace an MW window that consists of 2 double hungs side-by-side under a half moon window as wide as both double hungs together. My question is whether the double hungs can be replaced without replacing the half moon above it.
    IOW … is the half moon manufactured and attached to the double hungs and shipped and installed as a unit? Or are they separable?

    • Posted April 12, 2021 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

      Len, Most likely no. The lower units are most likely mulled permanently together with the half round. Our double hung sash kits work to replace the sashes without tearing out the whole frame. Perhaps that would solve your issues? You can read more about that product on our website,

Post a Comment

Your email is kept private. Required fields are marked *