Window repair-Why it works

Window Repair works for obvious reasons.  A new window salesman won’t tell you why.  For as many years as I’ve been in business, I’ve had folks ask, “How do I know this works?”  Well, somehow we’ve been making window parts for over fifteen years now, what do you think?

rockwell 2007

rockwell 2007 after

The obvious isn’t so obvious if you don’t have a “repair” mind-set.  If you’re a consumer conditioned to the modern disposable, instant gratification society, well then it makes perfect sense to tear out windows and start over.  From my perspective, it makes much more sense to repair, or what we like to call “replacement innovation” than to replacement the old with “new” with the expectation that the “new” is better.  Maybe?  The thought of window parts and pieces can be confusing.  We’re going to fix that later.  For now, let’s walk through a brief list of thought provokers and you decide.

1. It’s cheaper!  I refuse to argue with the $189.00 vinyl window guys.  That is a sales pitch to get in the door.  No salesman will sell you a $189 window.  Obviously markets vary across the country, but a reputable, professional window company is going to run in the $700 per opening range for new vinyl windows.  A far cry from the billboard price.
  2. Window repair is specific.  You only address the windows that are problematic, not the whole the house.  In my experience, most homes have 3-4 windows at any one time with damage.  Window for window, a replacement sash approaches the cost of the vinyl.  Now consider the cost of just replacing the three or four, not the whole house.
  3. Like kind and quality.  Did your neighbor with the brown house that put one bright white vinyl window in the side of it think about what their house was going to look like?  The idea of window repair or “replacement innovation” is to return the original window to original condition.  This also means keeping all of your windows matching.
  4. Less invasive.  Window replacement is a major remodeling project.  Disregard the “vinyl insert” type of product.  That is a whole other animal and soap box issue for me.  I’m talking a direct replacement of a full frame window. Window repair doesn’t cause drywall damage, woodwork damage, require new window treatments, or disrupt sealing or building envelope surfaces.
  5. Convenience.  Window repair is faster.  Our typical three week lead time is a fraction of the time you will wait for a new batch of windows from the factory.  Installation time is also a fraction of new window replacement with less mess and interference to your life and schedule.
  6. DIY is possible.  Save even more by doing it yourself.  Repairing rotten wood frames is experienced carpenter work, not sashes and hardware.  If you can turn a screwdriver, then doing this work yourself is possible.

Our new goal for 2016 is to bring window repair to DIY’er status.  Through more instructional blog posts and a new video series, I will be walking you through the basic installation steps of many of our popular window repair products in an effort to bring our concept of “replacement innovation” to the forefront of the window industry to create a new option category for the window consumer.

For more information, visit our blog and website at www.fensterusa.com

18 Comments

• Lyle Koehn
    Posted January 11, 2016 at 11:00 pm | Permalink

How do you reglaze a caradco window that has a wood sash with aluminum cladding? The inside does not have a stop that can be removed. The glass appears to be wet glazed. The corners seem to have a nail through the tenon into the rail.

• Posted January 12, 2016 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Lyle, That should still be a boot glazed sash. The corners of the sash screw together around the rubber boot holding the glass in. Separate the frame from the boot/glass and you should be in good shape.

• Kelly
    Posted February 21, 2016 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

I have double hung Norco windows in my house. Built in 1989. I need (I think) is a replacement sash. I need the part that you open and close by lifting up from the inside of the house. The glass part with the wood all around it….I think it’s called the sash. Can I get that replaced with glass and all so I can just take this one out and pop another one in……or how do I get it replaced? I’ve had many window people over and they tell me they can’t just replace that part especially on a Norco window.

• Posted February 22, 2016 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

Yes you can Kelly! That’s why we’re in business! You are correct. You need a new sash. We can make our version of a Norco sash as a direct replacement for the original. Assuming this is a painted wood window (no metal on the outside) from the late 80’s with a vinyl glazing bead trim around the glass on the outside, this would be our part number NCDH-100 upper or lower sash. What we need is the exact edge to edge (width and height) of the sash with measurements taken from the exterior side. There are some other simple questioned to be answered on the order form. You’ll want to go to our website, https://www.fensterusa.com and click on the picture above REPLICA WOOD SASHES to place your order. Make sure to use that NCDH-100 part number on the form. Thank you!

• Margaret
    Posted May 7, 2016 at 1:47 am | Permalink

My Pella Casement window will not close tight and therefore leaks when it rains. There appears to be a slight gap at the top and even though we push the window from the outside it will not lock shut. Is it warped because of the rain coming in? HELP

• Posted May 7, 2016 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

It certainly could be warped. The only solution is to replace the sash. It could be a lock issue. Pella over complicates everything they do making their windows extremely difficult to repair. If you have a proline or newer series, it probably has a concealed multi point lock. The top keeper may not be attached to the draw bar. Confused yet? Me too! You have to take the screen stop off to expose the lock system. Do you have a Pella rep in your area? These are a tough job even for the professional.

• Linda
    Posted May 20, 2016 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

I am looking replacement 4 sash panels for Malta casement window. These panels have delaminated due to water damage. They are vinyl clad with pine wood interior. Model 7A7. I know you said you only have white interior. Please let me know if you will make pine wood interior, or point me to someone who make this kind of saah panels. Thank you very much!

• Posted May 20, 2016 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Linda, Yes we can make these. Bare pine interior is no problem. I think what you’re seeing is, we only have white cladding for the outside. You can order these from our website, https://www.fensterusa.com. Thank you.

• Linda
        Posted May 28, 2016 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Thank you for replying! Can I just supply the maker and model of the window? Do you need the exact measurement? I’m not confident that I will get the perfect measurement.

• Posted May 30, 2016 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

Linda, I think we were talking about Malta vinyl clad casements, so we’re already that far. But yes, we will need exact edge to edge sash sizes.

• Linda
    Posted May 30, 2016 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Is it possible to take a look at a sample sash? Thanks.

• Posted May 30, 2016 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

Not really, unless you are anywhere close to our head quarter’s show room in Indianapolis. I believe there is a photo of the model in question on our website sash catalog. Our part number for this sash is MT-200 under listings for Malta.

• Linda
    Posted June 15, 2016 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

Hi there,
    Finally, we have the measurement for these sash (by 3 people, one of the 3 is a professional window installer). I have a couple of more questions before I can order:
    1. Do you guaranteed the sash to be fit? If not, what can you do?
    2. How long does it take for you to make these panels?

Thanks,

• Posted June 20, 2016 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

Linda, We have a 100% success rate when you order the right product. Assuming you select the correct sash profile, it will fit the original opening. Same with the measurements. We can’t guarantee the fit when someone else measures it. In some cases, we can recommend original brand standard sizing increments, but your provided measurements are always the default. Lead times are seasonal and subject to current order volume. Currently we are 4-5 weeks.

• Paul Bosler
    Posted September 20, 2016 at 2:01 am | Permalink

The glass in one of our large windows which is permanent and does not open, is cloudy and needs replacing. It is a Norco window installed in 1985. Can you supply the glass and labor to replace it at Lake Momroe, IN?

• Posted September 21, 2016 at 1:19 am | Permalink

Paul, We are only a manufacturer, but glass is not brand specific. Any glass company can replace the glass for you.

• Posted December 8, 2017 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

I just wanted to thank you for going over some benefits of repairing a window. It’s good to know that this can be specific to the problematic windows. That being said, I wonder if it could be beneficial to find all the different windows to fix and write down why. Maybe this could be good for the repair person to know, especially if they need to bring certain tools.

• Posted December 11, 2017 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

Taylor, Thanks for the feedback! We’re actually working on a DIY’er video series that will include much of what you asked about.