Caradco Window Repair: Mission Possible.

In your home, your windows are your eyes to the world. You want to protect and take care of this valuable investment. But what happens when the wood in those windows starts to age and can no longer be serviced because the original window manufacturer has gone out of business? Your only choice is to completely replace them, right?

Not any more: Caradco sash parts are now available.

Caradco window repair parts and replacement windows are available through Fenster Components. Caradco is one of the oldest window manufacturers in the country. Founded in 1862 by William Carr in Dubuque, IA, Caradco grew into the largest window manufacturing company in the U.S. The company was purchased by Jeld-Wen in 1997, and while Jeld-Wen still holds the Caradco trademark, it no longer offers Caradco windows or replacement parts. Fortunately, Fenster Components does.

Fenster Components — based in the Indianapolis, IN area — has been manufacturing replicated window sash profiles for most major brands of wood windows since 1999. Fenster can supply you or your contractor with replicated wood components to match your Caradco Windows. Fenster also offers innovative replacement products to upgrade your existing Caradco windows with better energy performance, extended life span, and less maintenance utilizing cellular PVC technology.

Work smarter. Work faster. Save money. Now that’s a better view.

Visit our website to learn more about our product lines, or to get a quote for your Caradco window replacement parts today.


  • Posted August 21, 2013 at 11:22 am | Permalink

    I need the overall dimensions of a 1976 Caradco C-200 #2715 Awning window.
    Please help.

    • Posted September 17, 2013 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

      All of our sash products are replicas of the original and custom made. We do not have a sizing chart for any brand we produce. All sash orders are dependent on the measurements provided by the customer and it is the customer’s responsibility to provide us with the correct measurements for their project.

  • Sharon Johnson
    Posted September 5, 2013 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

    I have caradco windows in my house we built in 1996. The windows are vinyl clad double hung gas filled . One window the outside vinyl came off the bottom and it is rotted out , I need to replace it the number on the window is CAR 057-003-93 can you tell me if and what I can do to get it replaced. Thank you Sharon Johnson

    • Posted September 17, 2013 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

      Fenster is your Caradco solution. We have multiple versions of the Caradco line dating back to casement and double hung versions of the old C-200 series from the 70’s. We also have the Heritage I and II casements along with the double hung from the same era. Finally, we also have the cladded versions of the casement and double hung. There are a few things to bear in mind when ordering these products. The older primed wood sashes come in two versions, boot glaze or wet glaze, meaning you can re-use the existing glass and rubber gasket with the boot version, or install new glass with silicone glazing and a removable wood stop. With the cladded sashes, we do not yet offer new cladding, so the old cladding, hardware, and glass must be transferred over to the new frame at install. All sash products ship unassembled in a box.

    • Larry Vandergriff
      Posted May 4, 2014 at 10:08 pm | Permalink

      I hope you can help me…here goes. I have a caradco casement window that the crank opening mechanism is nonfunctional anymore. We actually have two of these windows on either side of the fireplace, and the window on the right did the same thing but I got the replacement part from the rep. That’s not possible anymore. The window is CC1U1-3155W. The crank is on the left side and the window swings out from the right. Would you have the replacement crank “guts” for purchase?

      • Posted May 5, 2014 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

        Yes Larry, we carry the TRUTH casement operator that fits Caradco windows in stock. We can not process order requests through our blog. Please complete a quote request on our site, and our customer service team will complete an order for you. Thanks.

  • jim
    Posted September 22, 2013 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

    need the plastic inserts for caradco windows, can some help me source ?

    • Posted September 27, 2013 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

      Jim, we need you to be far more specific on what ‘plastic inserts’ you are looking for. That could be a slew of things. We have a common request for the wood grill inserts. Unfortunately this takes specialized equipment to reproduce the intricate jointery on those grills that we do not have at our facility.

  • ann williams
    Posted October 3, 2013 at 12:12 am | Permalink

    I have caradco windows in my home, double hung wood, one sash has a broken seal as it is foggy. Who do I call

    • Posted October 3, 2013 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

      Ann, if you fill out a quote form on our website and provide all the required information, specifically the exact measurements of the glass you need, we can provide you with a quote. Thank you.

  • Fred Buess
    Posted November 14, 2013 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

    I am looking for parts for casement windows by Cradco. would some one call 508-237-0272 or send an Email I need to repair about 5 Casements the crank system is shot.

  • mike vahue
    Posted November 14, 2013 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

    A Caradco sliding window, 20.5″ X 54″ per each side, stamped 1332 has one panel fogged. This was installed during a 2005 remodel job. It is wood on the interior side & aluminum clad on the exterior. One window repair guy told me the entire fogged side would have to be replaced. Wonder if this is the case & also if there is warranty coverage for this problem. Note: The window was purchased at Home Depot but I cannot locate a receipt.

    • Posted November 15, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

      Mike, The first answer is no. You can just replace the glass on that side without replacing the whole sash. 2005 would have been a Jeld-Wen produced “Caradco”. They should have at least a 10 year warranty against seal failure. They should supply you with a new insulated glass unit, but you will have to have it installed. Unfortunately, you will probably have to supply documentation of the purchase.

  • Tom Quail
    Posted November 23, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Permalink


    We have a house full of Carado windows . They are wood, tilt out, double hung windows and they were manufactured 8/91. The lower window came out of its track and it will no longer stay in the up position.

    What can I do to fix this problem ?

    Thanks for your help,


    • Posted November 25, 2013 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

      Tom, This is a common problem with an easy fix as long as nothing is actually broken. Windows with a vinyl expandable jamb liner have what is commonly referred to as a block and tackle balance. Yes, to all you window geeks out there, there are many types and styles of window balances, but for the sake of layman’s terms, a block and tackle balance was most commonly used during the early 90’s.

      Each sash has a metal pin on the bottom corner that fits into the respective track on the jamb liner. That pin has to sit on top of the balance terminal in order to engage the balance. Sashes often fall because at some point, the sash was removed from the opening and not re-installed correctly. It doesn’t mean that anything is broken at all, the sash just isn’t engaged with the balance.

      When you raise or lower the sash and you still see the terminal (bracket looking thing) in the track below the sash or higher than the sash pin will reach, then its not engaged.

      Remove the sash from the tracks completely and re-set the sash making sure the pins are on top of the terminal. When you tilt the sash back in and push down, the terminal should release and engage the sash. If the terminals are above the pins (with the sash in the closed position), you may have to push down on the pins first before tilting the sash completely back into place.

      Hope this helps!

  • Maryann
    Posted January 2, 2014 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

    I have a caradco triple window, one frame is rotting, do I have to replace the entire window.

    • Posted January 3, 2014 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

      Maryann, Absolutely not! This is exactly what Fenster is all about. We can supply the materials you need to rebuild that rotten frame to brand new condition for far less than replacing the entire window. You can contact our customer service team via our website, by filling out a contact form and they will direct you in the information we need to provide you with the correct components. Some window or carpentry experience is required for the installation of our products so we recommend you have your experienced contractor of choice contact us if you think this installation is beyond your abilities.

  • Posted January 24, 2014 at 9:06 am | Permalink

    Spot on with this write-up, I really feel this web site needs far more attention.
    I’ll probably be returning to read through more, thanks for the information!

  • David
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

    I have a 1998 Caradco swing door and I need the adjustment hinges, they are 4″ and they adjust vertical and horizontal. can I get a pic of what you have to make sure they match

    • Posted March 5, 2014 at 9:25 pm | Permalink

      David, We don’t do anything with doors. We don’t have any door parts. Sorry we couldn’t help.

  • Julie Rosene
    Posted March 12, 2014 at 12:17 am | Permalink

    So we bought a house that has Caradco casement windows with screens. We can not figure out how to remove the screens in order to clean the inside windows. HELP Please!!

    • Posted March 12, 2014 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

      Julie, You really only have a couple options when it comes to all casement windows. It depends on what model/year the windows are, but for the sake of removal instructions, it doesn’t matter.

      1. There could be spring loaded plunger pins at all four corners. Simultaneously pull the top and bottom on one side at a time and the screen should come out.

      2. There are curved springs in the top or bottom of the screen frame with a pull tab at the opposite end. Pull the tab and the screen comes out.

      Now, I’m guessing you have the second type, but the pull tabs may be missing. It depends on if the springs are in the top or the bottom of the frame. The springs ‘should’ be in the shallower of the grooves in the top or bottom of the trim. Push down (on the bottom) or push up (on the top) the compress the springs and release the opposite end of the frame. However, if the screens were put in upside down, the springs are in the deep groove. In this case, push the screen frame in the opposite direction of the springs. Using a putty knife or even a butter knife from the kitchen, slide the knife in between the wood trim and the screen frame to compress the spring and pull the frame and knife out at the same time. There will be two springs. One on either side.

      Hope that helps!

  • andre
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 11:44 pm | Permalink

    I have caradco windows in my home & the sashs are rotting out & the upper sash will not stay in the up position which makes the lower sash rise up & it leaks from the top & bottom. Alsothe putty between the panes is coming loose & oozing down the glass. The windows were made in 2000 & tilt in with plastic track…probably block & tackle type. Please help

    • Posted March 19, 2014 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

      Andre, We can help! We do have the Caradco double hung profile from that era. We’ll need measurements and other information to process an order for you. Please complete a quote form on our website,, with all of the required information and we’ll get a quote to you right away. Thank you.

  • sandi
    Posted March 27, 2014 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

    we have 22 caradco double hung metal encased windows mfg date 08/88 installed 03/89 .. the glass in the larger cottage windows has been replaaced . we now have 9 upper glass that needs to be replaced and we cannot find 5/8 glass. do you ship glass to the philadelphia area

    • Posted March 27, 2014 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

      Sandi, That doesn’t seem like a tall order. I don’t see why we couldn’t get you fixed up. We’ll ship anywhere UPS will go, it just gets expensive to get glass to a customer in one piece. If you want to fill out a quote form on our website,, and give us your measurements, we’ll be happy to quote it. Just fill out the ‘glass only’ section under product request. Thanks!

  • Geo
    Posted March 30, 2014 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

    We are trying to sell our house–all the Caradko wood windows (guessing about 54 years old or so) will not stay in the open upright position and come crashing down upon opening. We have been using a stick but new owners house inspection want new windows… Huge expense with everything else they also want. There is a removable stop to hold them up but we haven’t been able to find them in the years we have owned the home (were like that when we bought the house). Any ideas on the part availability? Thank you!

    • Posted March 31, 2014 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

      Geo, 54 years old may pre-date any chance of repair parts still being available, but there may be retro-fit parts that will correct the problem for far less than all new windows. We would need a lot of information and pictures. This project may also require a window professional to perform the work. A retro-fit installation can be complicated. The best advice I could offer is send some photos to our sales department, and we’ll see what we can come up with. Thanks.

  • Barb
    Posted April 9, 2014 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

    When our Caradco aluminum clad double-hung window were installed in 2004, we weren’t given any paper work on them. I did have someone come and adjust some of them a few times but would like to do it myself. There are two -three of them have have develped severe air leaks, especially when the wind is a certain direction and blowing strong. Also need instruction on how to wash them from the inside, I know there is a way they swing in but not sure how.

    • Posted April 9, 2014 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

      Barb, Ironically the same part is causing both your issues. The plastic tracks holding the windows in are called compression jambliners. To tilt in the sashes, with the sash about half-way in the opening push against the either side jamb to relieve the tension and pull the sash in towards you with a fair amount of force. That’s about it. The fundamental design flaw to these type of windows was the jambliner. There has to be some amount of give to one; let the sash slide up and down easily and two; allow you to tilt the sash in. Consequently, there is only so much seal the window will have to allow these functions. They can certainly be tightened up and reduce the draft by shimming behind the jambliner. Obviously you won’t be able to tilt them in and they will be difficult to open and close. Moral of the story, you have to choose the lesser of two evils.

  • Julie Goodwin
    Posted April 22, 2014 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

    I need 4 plastic inserts for our 30 year old double hung windows [for the screens to fit in] Thank you.

    • Posted April 23, 2014 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

      Julie, Not exactly sure what you mean. Screens on double hungs usually fit into a groove around the brick mold trim. On some models , there is actually a plastic cup that the screen pin fits into. We haven’t been able to find those for years. Typically, you would just drill a 5/16″ hole for the pin to fit into.

  • tom rowe
    Posted April 24, 2014 at 3:17 am | Permalink

    I have a broken caradco picture window glass. size 44’X681/2 is the glass. is it replaceable or do I have to buy new window? where can I get a price?

    • Posted April 24, 2014 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

      Tom, Yes just the glass can be replaced without replacing the whole window. Unfortunately for us, we would not feel comfortable shipping a glass unit of that size. We recommend contacting a local residential glass company in your area to measure, order, and install that glass for you.

  • Posted April 25, 2014 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

    im trying to get new screens for my windows but don’t know if I have the right number. on the metal it has caradco 716 on the glass for 5 it looks like 4/91 that window is about 35×55

    • Posted April 28, 2014 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

      Cindy, Screens are a component that is not brand specific. Point being, you don’t need “Caradco” screens. Unfortunately, available screen materials have changed over the years. The original color of your screen frame may not be available. We make new ‘generic’ screens, but they are not intended to match any original window brand’s hardware. We need to know exactly the dimensions of the screens you want, brown, white, or beige color, and the type of hardware on it. Also keep in mind shipping will add to the cost of the order.

  • Scott Salisbury
    Posted June 8, 2014 at 8:25 am | Permalink

    We have Caradco double hung, wood clad, double pane windows where the glass has fogged up. Mostly the uppers. How are panes removed for replacement?

    • Posted June 9, 2014 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

      Scott, All the Caradcos we know of were boot glazed sash that screw together at the corners. You should be able to locate a screw at each corner to separate the sides of the sash and pull it off the rubber glazing boot around the glass.

  • Robert Braga
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

    Need crank mech for caradco window casement number 916 crank on left side of window and window to the left side. Thanks

    • Posted June 16, 2014 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

      Robert, yes we have those. We can not process orders over our blog. If you could please complete a quote form on our website with your request, we will be happy to complete your order.

  • Robert Thacker
    Posted September 10, 2014 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

    all the windows in my house are cradco true devided light. The main problem is that the black squiggle ( thats what I was told it is called) inside the glass is failing. The lights are insulating glass units. The windows were installed around 1990. My question is, can or do you supply individual replacement lights when given the correct measurements?

  • Tom
    Posted September 19, 2014 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

    I need 14 20 1/4″ x 43 3/4 replacement screens for Caradco casement windows. I don’t see any holes or slits in the vertical portion on the interior window frame. I believe the screen will fit into the notch at the top and bottom of the window and be fine. I am located in the Kansas City Metro.

    • Posted September 22, 2014 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

      Tom, we do not supply any brand specific hardware. I recommend a google search for window repair. You have several in your city.

  • Rick Ayer
    Posted September 30, 2014 at 1:53 am | Permalink

    I have a 1993 Caradco double hung window. The lower glass caught a rock and is broken. I unscrewed the two screws at the top of the wood frame and was able to remove the rubber casing that goes all around with the glass pieces. It looks like it just takes another rubber encased double pane of glass to slide back down in the wooden trough of the lower window. Do you sell those?

    • Posted September 30, 2014 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

      The rubber gasket is not available. You must re-use the existing. You can get replacement glass from any local residential glass company. We recommend glass doctor.

  • nancy theobald
    Posted October 3, 2014 at 4:37 am | Permalink

    Caradco windows in house built in 1990. 3 of the windows no longer work. They can not be opened or closed with the crank. Contacted someone 3 yrs ago, and they asked me to describe the mechanism. What they sent did not work. Am selling the house and need to get these fixed. Who can help me?

    • Posted October 3, 2014 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

      Nancy, We can get you some Caradco operators, but we can’t do that over a blog post. You need to visit our website and complete a quote request with all of the required information. At the bottom in the comments section you need to request Caradco operators and specify how many left or right hand looking at the window from the inside. One of our customer service people will respond and complete your order. Thank you.

  • henderson
    Posted October 11, 2014 at 9:30 pm | Permalink

    I need operaters for tip out caradco windows made around 1967

    • Posted October 13, 2014 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

      By tip out, I’m assuming an awning style? Going back that far, we wouldn’t have any information on those. It was probably a Truth hardware part. You might find a Truth dealer’s catalog to see if they still have something available.

  • Lisa
    Posted October 19, 2014 at 4:09 am | Permalink

    I purchased Caradco clad windows with my log home (as a kit) in 1999. The green clad is faded/discolored from original “Hartford green”. How do I know if they are vinyl or aluminum?…so not sure how to go about repainting them. I have 20 windows (7 circle tops) and 2 sets of Caradco double doors, so the discolored green makes the house look really old. Any guidance or help appreciated.

    • Posted October 28, 2014 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

      Lisa, To my knowledge Caradco only used an aluminum cladding on their products. I recommend using a primer first that is approved for aluminum siding/gutters, etc. A good quality satin finish house paint would be fine after that.

  • Furr
    Posted October 21, 2014 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

    I want to replace the rubber gasket boot that no longer fits properly around the new double-pane glass. Where may I find a replacement gasket. I have a boot glazed sash.

  • Mike Green
    Posted November 3, 2014 at 4:28 am | Permalink

    I actually have 4 original Caradco Scovill wood windows left in my house that was built in 1972. They are actually still decent and the wood is still in tact. I believe the addition of storm windows in the mid 70’s helped save them. Would you happen to know how the lower sash is removed?

    • Posted November 5, 2014 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

      Mike, That is way before our time. Sorry, but we wouldn’t be able to help.

  • Posted November 16, 2014 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

    Nov. 16, 2014

    I have Carado double hung windows and casement windows from 1986. Some of them have condensation on the inside glass where the bottom wood window frame meets the glass when the outside temperature is close to freezing. It happens on the bottom window as well as the top.
    What can I do about this?
    Thank you,

    • Posted November 17, 2014 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

      Barbara, Condensation is common with all windows in colder climates. The only way to really control condensation is to control the humidity levels in your home when the temperature changes.

      • Posted March 8, 2015 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

        You are correct Ryan. Humidity in the home is the primary factor. This also indicates that your home is quite humid. This means your home is pretty darn airtight but may also lack appropriate ventilation. take a look at our recent projects with replacement windows and siding issues

  • greg
    Posted December 18, 2014 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

    I have a cardaco wood window that is aluminum outside it has 4 units in it the two outside units open and figured out how to replace the glass units how do I replace the center units that are staionary

    • Posted December 19, 2014 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

      Greg, Some Caradcos had visible screws through the screen stop holding in the stationary units. Others had brackets behind the screen stop. You need to remove the screen stop to expose those brackets if you can’t find any visible screw heads.

  • Heidi Pack
    Posted January 19, 2015 at 3:38 am | Permalink

    Looking to replace some caradco sandstone color screens. Any recommendation as to who might carry in the Columbus Ohio area.

    • Posted January 19, 2015 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

      Heidi, I think I know the color you are looking for. To my knowledge, that was a custom color made by Caradco. Unfortunately, I do not believe it is available anymore. You may have to switch to a standard brown. I don’t have specific names, but we get a call from contractors every once and a while from the area, so I know there are guys doing window repair. You might also try Picken’s window parts out of Cincinnati.

  • Jim De Young
    Posted March 3, 2015 at 2:29 am | Permalink

    I put in a 10′ slider in about 2000. I have replaced the aluminum bracket 3 times and just have let it go the last 2-3 years. Now I can not find the part number of the bracket to replace it again. What happens is, if the latch is not fully pulled up until it clicks, when if slams it wears the bracket slots down, designed to catch the latch. Eventually, the bracket is broken out to the point that it won’t catch and lock. HELP? Where do I find this part (for the 4th time now) ?????

    • Posted March 3, 2015 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

      Jim, I’m sorry, but we don’t have any information on original Caradco door hardware. All of our stuff is made by us or aftermarket manufacturers.

  • gary guild
    Posted March 23, 2015 at 12:57 pm | Permalink


    • Posted March 24, 2015 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

      Gary, If you mean the glazing boot around the glass, those are no longer available. If you mean the weather seal, we have a suitable replacement, but not the OEM part. Check back in a couple of weeks, we’ll have a new weatherstrip buying page added to our website to make ordering easier.

    Posted March 26, 2015 at 12:01 pm | Permalink


    • Posted March 26, 2015 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

      Bill, My best advice would get a professional involved. All we have for aluminum clad windows is a stile and rail kit to rebuild the existing sash. That is not a DIY project! Stile and rail kits for double hung run in the $129.00 range. I can’t give you a referral without knowing where you live, but I wouldn’t suggest putting your address on a public blog post. You might be surprised by who shows up. If you would like one of my customer service folks to contact you, please complete a quote request off our website. Thank you.

Post a Comment

Your email is kept private. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>